Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Chucking the compass

This blog has had issues with direction for a while. I suspect every blogger goes through this at some point, this stage where he hasnt the foggiest why people would want to read what he's written, or what they would want to read when they come over, and what I would want to write about regardless. Loftier authors may have legitimized refuge behind writers block...but we humble souls can only shrug and smile sheepishly, and resort to typing in this space out of buzzed happiness or sheer boredom.

Cues from other blogs say I could talk about stuff that happens around me, at a global / impersonal level. I could devote it to musings about one or more hobbies, should I chose to develop any. Take up a 3 sentence incident and weave a hopefully funny story around it. Reveal more about the state of affairs of my head and my heart. Espouse my own philosophy, or bitch about other people. Rant and moan. Put up videos and pics.

What I've looked for when I go blog hopping has been good arresting writing, irrespective of its theme. But all of them have had some theme. Some road map by which the blogger's decided - ki dudes..this is what you should usually find here. This probably gives him / her the trigger to blog when he does, and leaves him with an established body of work from which he can model what he's currently writing.

My issue with this is that I'd hate having idlipaav typecast. I'm not trying to make it masala fare either. As stupid as this sounds, whats stopped many a nascent post from taking final shape has been the wonderment about whether its too jointed or too disjointed wrt the previous one.

It is symptomatic though, to be stuck in this position. Trust me to be the cretin who breaks down every little imagined problem into compartmentalized, sequential ones that would take weeks of chewing over. Be it about asking a girl out, or learning the bike, or making an omelette.
Writing was supposed to be something I'm decent at...but my personality caught up with that too.

The redeeming part about the whole affair is, there are solutions at hand. Atleast half a dozen posts waiting to be written...in no particular direction. I'll just assume that you too are simply looking for decent writing yourself. The drunken posts will be there, all unscheduled ones...but I'm not totally leaning on them anymore. Then again, I'll qualify that. I'm still a lazy bastard.

Cheers


Currently listening :
Rudiger - Mark Knopfler

No comments: