Thursday, August 17, 2006

Insomnia briefly reawakened...

The rat smell is still on the mattress. It's been raining non stop thru that damn week, and the fan wasnt switched on once thru it all...so the rat smell's very much on the mattress and pillow. And given the way I always have to sleep (on my stomach, hands wedged under pillow, to bury 1 side of face and nose into it...), it was inevitable that I chuck sleep attempts.

It's still frigging raining. Not drizzling, mind you, but pouring away through the day. I'm tired and sleepy, but the damn mattress...its moments like this that make 1 wish for a bike and a spare set of house keys.

There's suddenly a terrifying amount of work to do here in campus. Most of it's piled over from earlier, overdue committments, but still...wayy too much :

A weekend project for a leading national insurer. Boring, crappy work..but decent brand name. Plus the only finance weekend on sight yet.

Preparing the ARTH (college's mutual fund) website. It's mostly done...but the last 10% is always the hardest for me to get through. I also have to get thru the last 10% for their monthly newsletter.

Preparing a case for a Prerana (our annual fest) event. I cant talk about it yet, due to fears of the idea being filched by competing B Schools..but it's stuff that hasnt been done here before. What compounds the problem here is..the last 95 % is left, and thats kinda hard too.

Regular classwork assignments that should be relegated to the last minute. Not that my work ethic's suddenly changed (*snort) , it's just that the last minute's arrived.

The laptop is belting out the song "Donegan's Gone" by Mark Knopfler. It's not even on my favourites...just this singular moment of irony.

And the vacillating $#^%#$@ classmates here have gone ape on finance...those who were earlier perfectly happy with whatever happened to them on placements day. All these chowderheads have enrolled for highfalutin certification courses during my absence. Now..my resume screams finance..by pure chance...but more on that later. Now it will have to jostle with about a dozen CFAs and an orgy of other certifications, for a clutch of banks.
This means I have to read up on finance now.Catch up is more the word. Ebooks. Online reports. Xeroxed notes and library books. Newspapers & magazines. Maybe even stay awake in class.

Blech. Yes, reading this was pretty blech for you too...but now that damn mattress suddenly looks very inviting to me. So I'll stop assaulting your senses and hit the sack.

No comments: